Established here in 1724 after the mission failure at Santa
Ana in 1722. About 1734 the mission was moved 2 miles south where the town is
today. Another move in 1790 to Cadueño is reported by some historians.
Only foundation stones were seen, at the first site. It is now a ranch where visitors are not welcome, so no GPS here. The Santiago town church is on the second site.
The massive stone church was completed 58 years after its
founding. The Dominicans finished the work in 1786. San Ignacio was the
northern-most California mission for 23 years. Located in the town plaza of San
Ignacio and surounded by an oasis in the desert. GPS: 27°17'02.2" 112°53'56.1"
Photo from 1919, showing the damage from the huricane of
1918. The modern town church was built on this site. No ruins remain at any of
the mission's known locations, so no GPS data. San Jose was first established
near the coast, but soon moved 5 miles inland (today's San Jose Viejo). The
mission was moved back to coast in 1735, and a final move 1 mile inland was made
Established at the La Paz mission visita of Todos Santos,
in 1733. Fifteen years later, the mission at La Paz moved here and the Santa
Rosa mission name changed. See below. GPS: 23°27'37.3" 110°13'08.3"
When the mission of La Paz moved south, the mission of
Santa Rosa was replaced. In 1825, the mission moved again, about 1 mile south.
Church in the photo was built in 1970 at the first site. The final site is
occupied by the modern town church.
Established at an oasis visita of the Los Dolores Apate
mission. The stone church was built in the 1750's. GPS: 24°54'29.0" 111°17'27.3"