Originally home to the Monqui Indians who called the site
Ligui. The Cochimi called the site Malibat and soon replaced the Monqui at
San Juan Bautista. The site proved to be a poor location and was abandoned in favor
of establishing a new mission at Apate (Los Dolores). The arroyo undermined the
mission site and only some rubble from the foundation was visible in 2001.
GPS: 25°44'22.2" 111°15'51.0"
Ligui mission foundation ruins in a 1975 photo from
Southwest history professor, Robert H. Jackson.
Ligui mission ruin diagram (pre 2001 destruction).
The church was built in 1766. A flood in 1770 destroyed
fields and almost caused the mission to be relocated to San Jose de Magdalena,
some 15 miles to the northwest. GPS: 26°05'37.0" 111°59'09.3"
Photo taken at ruins of the original location, now called
Comondu Viejo. The mission was moved in 1736 to the visita of
'San Ignacio', 22 miles south. The mission name was not changed with the move.
GPS: 26°16'27.4" 111°43'08.5"
Comondu Viejo in 1956 photo by Howard Gulick.
In the 1750's, the largest mission buildings in California
were constructed for San Jose de Comondu. All were torn down in 1936 except for
this small side chapel, once attached to the larger church.
GPS: 26°03'34.6" 111°49'20.4"
The new mission location was only 2 miles from the San
Javier mission visita of San Miguel. San Miguel may have served as the Comondu
mission for a brief time until the nearby Comondu visita (named 'San Ignacio')
was converted into the new Comondu mission.
Some books list San Miguel as a seperate mission during the 1730's because various Jesuits were stationed
there and performed baptisms, etc..
The Comondu mission church in 1906, was torn down 30 yeas later.
Photo by Arthur North
The padre's side chapel at Comondu survived the demolition
of the 1930's. Photo taken in 1955 by Howard Gulick.